Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Spirits of Nature

I’ve known about Mt. Fuji before coming to Japan. Without a doubt it is one of the most famous volcanoes in the world for its distinctive conic shape. Going on this term abroad I had many places in mind which I wanted to see in Japan, but never before did I think of Fuji. Ok, it is a volcanic mountain, but I’ve seen many beautiful mountains in the U.S.: last summer, for example, I went toYosemite National Park and hiked on top of the waterfalls, and I am still to see Niagara Falls which is only few hours away from my college.

However, after few months being in Japan, I felt an intense desire to see Fujisan. I stopped thinking of it as simply of a mountain; somehow it became more to me. Now I saw Fuji as a sacred entity of Japanese culture, something that confines great spiritual power and unique beauty. In fact, it seems that Japanese themselves see it as so. Overall, from my observations I noticed that Japanese culture often embraces nature. In contrast to western modern mores, Japanese people seem to keep the antique tradition of noticing and appreciating beauty of nature. Present sacred view of Fuji perhaps takes its roots in the religious practices to climb Fujisan and worship its deities.

Furthermore, for anyone visiting Japan it would hard not to notice that Japanese are fascinated (I heard some even say “obsessed”) by season changes. The banal example of it is of course hanami*. One may argue that it is popular today just because it gives people a reason to have fun, and of course there is truth these words, but I still think hanami is more than that**.

Koyo***, tradition of watching autumn leaves, is somewhat less popular, but still attracts great attention of Japanese and tourists. In October-November it is common to find countless souvenirs and postal cards with illustrations of colorful autumn leaves. You may be thinking, of course, it is because Japan has four distinct seasons. However, in my home country Ukraine we also have beautiful and vivid autumn, but no one, except perhaps for the children, takes time to notice it.

There may be numerous reasons lying behind it, but, even though Japan is modern, the culture seems to maintain the tradition of paying peculiar attention to nature and its spirits.

*Hanami in literal translation means “flower viewing”. Sakura Matsuri (Cherry Blossom Festival) is popular all over Japan. Every spring people gather under sakura trees to admire its beautiful blossoms and socialize (not forgetting the sake).
**Interestingly, fascination by beauty of flowers originally came to Japanese culture from China.
*** Koyo in literal translation means “red leaves”.

References:
"Autumn leaves (koyo) in Japan." Japan-guide.com - Japan Travel and Living Guide. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html.
"Fuji Sengen Shrine." http://www.city.fujiyoshida.yamanashi.jp/div/english/html/shrine.html.
"Hanami." Japan Hotels& Travel Guide. http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/culture/hanami.html.
"Koyo in Tokyo." Blue Lotus. http://blue_moon.typepad.com/blue_lotus/2008/11/koyo-in-tokyo.html.
"Volcano Myths and Legends - Japan." http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/legends/japan/japan.html.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, specially for the reader like me who know nothig about Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your text about Fuji-san. Have you climbed it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it was too late in the year to do so :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, specially for the reader like me who know nothig about Japan. Göğüs Estetiği

    ReplyDelete